Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Lesson 4

Objective: Good readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words with the oi, oy, ow, and ou sounds. Good readers use resources to increase vocabulary and gain deeper understanding by using context clues.

Assessment: Word Sort, running record (retell), Vocab Worksheet

Procedures
Welcome:
Opening: Today we’re going to start out by doing a word sort. We will then read a text called “Wooley and Fang”. I will do a running record on you during the first part of the book. We will then continue to read it to work on some vocabulary.

Purpose: The purpose of the word study is to help you easily recognize the oi, oy, ow, and ou sounds to easily use them as a spelling/reading strategy. The purpose of reading a new text is to work on vocabulary you may not know. You will learn some context clues to figure out what they mean.

Steps for first objective: Word Sort
My student and I will be sorting words that focus on diphthongs. This will be the third time we study these so we will be playing memory with the words. I will have to words spread out and she will have to pick one up, read it, pick another one up, read that and see if they match. If they don’t she will put them back down and pick again until she has all matches.

Steps for second objective: Running Record
I will be giving my student a running record to assess her reading, fluency, and comprehension.


Steps for third objective: Vocab
My student and I will continue to read the text I used for the running record. We will talk about words she stumbles upon and we will fill a worksheet out on two words she thinks is tricky.


Closure:

Thanks for working so hard with me. What did you learn about using your context clues with new vocabulary? How can it help you become a better reader?

Reflection on Student:
I tried to bring some harder material for Lily today and she still did awesome with it. We started out by playing Memory with the words and that went by really quickly. We then moved on to the running record. I chose a non fiction story about the Ice Age and she seemed to really enjoy it. The first running record I did with her was a level Q and this time i moved her to a level S. She only made 4 mistakes during the assessment so had a 97% accuracy rate. She was able to retell what she read perfectly. Next time we meet I am going to try to move her up another level and see how that goes. After this we continued to read the book. When she came to a word that she didn't know the definition of, I had her stop and circle it. We only got to page 14 out of 24 because we were running out of time and I wanted to work on the vocabulary with her. We talked about what context clues meant and how she could use the while she's reading to help her understand the text a little better. I taught her four different types of context clues and she was able to look at the sentences of the words she circled and figure out what it meant and decide what type of context clue it was. After we finished that, it was time for her to go back to her classroom. I asked her my closing questions and asked if she had any other questions about what we talked about. She looked at me really worried and asked what happens to the wooly mammoth in the story we read because we didn't get to finish it. I gave her the book to take back to her classroom and read. I was so excited that she was so intrigued by what we were doing!

What I've Learned About Myself:
As she was reading her story aloud and we were working on vocabulary, I figured out it was hard for me to not just tell her what it means. I hadn't realized I was doing this so much before today. Using prompts to help a reader figure out the word they are stuck on instead of just telling them is so helpful. When she reads by herself she won't have me there over her shoulder to tell her the word, but she will have those skills in her brain to decode the word by herself. I would like to keep practicing some different prompt so this becomes an automatic skill with her. 

-Ms. A

No comments:

Post a Comment