Monday, November 28, 2016

Lesson 5

Objective: Good readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words with the –tion and -ize endings. Good readers use resources to increase vocabulary and gain deeper understanding by using context clues.

Assessment: Word Sort, running record (retell), Vocab Worksheet

Procedures
Welcome:
Opening: Today we’re going to start out by doing a word sort. We will then read a text called “Sally’s Secret Ambition”. I will do a running record on you during the first part of the book. We will then continue to read it to work on some vocabulary by doing a word study worksheet.

Purpose: The purpose of the word study is to help you easily recognize the –tion and –ize endings to easily use them as a spelling/reading strategy. The purpose of reading a new text is to work on vocabulary you may not know. You will learn some inferencing skills to figure out what they mean.

Steps for first objective: Word Sort
My student and I will be sorting words that focus on harder suffixes. I have moved her up a level so this is the first time she will be seeing this list of words, but she has done a word sort before. So I will give her a stack of words and categories, but she will have to decide where they go without an example.  


Steps for second objective: Running Record
I will be giving my student a running record to assess her reading, fluency, and comprehension.




















Steps for third objective: Vocab
My student and I will continue to read the text I used for the running record. We will circle the words she stumbles upon. After we finish reading the text we will talk about clues/evidence, shema, and inferencing, and how it all will help her figure out the meaning of a word.


Closure:
Thanks for working so hard with me. What did you learn about using inferencing with new vocabulary? Hw can it help you become a better reader?

Reflection on Student:

My student is continuing to impress me each time I meet with her. We started out with the word sort and she did awesome with this. I moved her up a level from the last word sort we did and she did really well. The only word that tripped her up was "organization". We were studying -ize and -tion so she thought it went with both of them. I had to explain that she needed to look at just the endings and then she knew it went in the -tion category. After the word sort we started reading a story called Sally's Secret Ambition. I did a running record on her in the beginning. She did really well with this. I moved her up to a T level and she only had one error. She also was able to retell all of the text. After the running record we continued reading the story to study some vocabulary. She circled about five words that tripped her up and i had her choose just one to do a worksheet on this week. She chose "ambition". We worked on inferring so she wrote down some clues/evidence from the story, wrote down schema she already had, and her inference of the word. In the beginning she could not use the clues in the text to help her so we really had to work hard on that. She finally understood the clues and inferred correctly. This is something we will work on next week. 

What I've Learned About Myself:
The biggest thing today has taught me is to always make sure I am challenging the student. It seems like a lot of the things we've done has been pretty easy to her. This is hard to judge how much harder of work to give her since I only meet with her 30 minutes twice a week, but in the future I need to make sure I am appropriately challenging my students. Also, it surprised me that she had a hard time using the clues and evidence from the story because she has such good comprehension. I always need to be making sure I'm assessing even the easy skills to be sure they are able to fully understand the text. 

-Ms. A

No comments:

Post a Comment