Monday, November 28, 2016

Lesson 6

Objective: Good readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words with the –tion and -ize endings. Good readers use resources to increase vocabulary and gain deeper understanding by using context clues.

Assessment: Word Sort, running record (retell), Vocab Worksheet

Procedures
Welcome:
Opening: Today we’re going to start out by doing a word sort. We will then read a text called “Samson: A Horse Story”. I will do a running record on you during the first part of the book. We will then continue to read it to work on some vocabulary by doing a word study worksheet.

Purpose: The purpose of the word study is to help you easily recognize the –tion and –ize endings to easily use them as a spelling/reading strategy. The purpose of reading a new text is to work on vocabulary you may not know. You will learn different word study strategies to help you learn figure out unknown vocabulary.

Steps for first objective: Word Sort
My student and I will be sorting words that focus on harder suffixes. Last week she did a closed sort with them so this week she will be doing an open sort with unknown categories.

Steps for second objective: Running Record
I will be giving my student a running record to assess her reading, fluency, and comprehension.





















Steps for third objective: Vocab
My student and I will continue to read the text I used for the running record. We will circle the words she stumbles upon. After we finish reading the text we will choose one word she circled and talk about the using clues in the text and prior knowledge to determine what it means.


Closure:
Thanks for working so hard with me. What did you learn about using clues and prior knowledge to determine unknown vocabulary? How can it help you become a better reader?

Reflection on Student:

My student continues to do very well with the items I bring for us to do. The word sort threw her off at first because I didn't give her categories, but after she read the first couple words she figured it out and got them all correct. During the running record, she only made one mistake. This was a level U book and I was told she was at a level Q before we started working together so she is doing awesome. If I was continuing working with her I would move her up two more levels the next time so I could pinpoint that frustration level. Because this book was on the easier side for her, she didn't have many words she didn't know. She only circled two so she chose "trough" to study. She was able to reread the sentence before and after to figure out what the word mean (a skill we worked on last time). She struggled with what part of speech the word was but ended up getting it correct when I reminded her a noun was a person place or thing. 

What I Learned About Myself:

Today reinforced that in my future I need to make sure I am challenging my students at all times. She did really well with all of this stuff, but she didn't really learn anything new that will help her in the future. Although, she did use a skill we worked on last week for vocabulary which I was proud of. Today was my last day with her and she was so sweet. She got me a gift which included a letter, a Christmas ornament that says "World's Best Teacher", some candy, and a picture of her in a little frame. It was so sweet. I am including a picture of the letter she wrote me below, it really made me realize how big of an impact I am able to have on my students. My heart was very happy.


-Ms. A


No comments:

Post a Comment